Have you often been asked “Why do you send your child to ARRENDELL education?”
It is an interesting fact that enrolling your child in after school ballet classes, sports training or music lessons don’t raise an eyebrow when comparing crazy after-school schedules. But mention the “t” word and you’re likely to be labelled as “pushy’’.
In reality, the reverse is more accurate. You are not a pushy parent but a proactive one. Mohan Dhall from the Australian Tutoring Association states that using paid help to assist in your child’s learning doesn’t mean you are a Tiger Mum or Dad. In fact, based on recent trends you are one of an increasing number of parents who are being proactive in assisting your child achieve the best results possible.
Rather than putting pressure on pupils, tutoring can be beneficial in giving students a much needed boost in confidence and giving previously under performing children a track record of success. For pupils who are already doing well, tutoring can offer scope for fine-tuning exam and revision techniques; it is not necessarily a remedial function. Rather, it is like having an academic personal trainer. Starting early to work regularly with a tutor can make a significant difference in a student’s academic performance.
But what is Tutoring?
Tutoring is an age-old practice. The dictionary definition describes a tutor as a person who gives individual, or small group, instruction. The purpose of tutoring is to help students help themselves. To be successful, tutors need a set of specific characteristics and be highly qualified.
At ARRENDELL all our tutors are all highly qualified and have the following characteristics considered essential for success:
- A positive outlook: The belief that things can be changed through action.
- A desire to help others: The willingness to become involved with people face to face.
- Empathy: The ability to feel what another person is feeling.
- An even disposition: Patience, gentleness, understanding and fairness.
- An open mind: A willingness to accept other people and their point of view.
- Initiative: The ability to see what needs to be done and to do something about it.
- Enthusiasm: A liking for your subject, and a wish to share it with others.
- Reliability as a worker: Punctual, dependable, steady.
There are also many benefits to the students who receive tutoring and why starting the tutoring process early is beneficial.
- Real learning takes time.
- Early work with a tutor helps your child grasp foundational concepts on which more difficult work may be build.
- Beginning early means that your child and his or her tutor will have time to get to know one another.
- A tutor will hold your student accountable for completing work.
- Your child will learn early some of the important study techniques of successful students.
- Your child will receive constant feedback on his or her work.
- Your child will build confidence in his or her learning abilities as he or she successfully navigates work that the tutor may assign.
- Your child will establish a relationship and make a new friend – a role model of good academic skills as well as a role model of helping others.
Originally when Gwenda Sanderson started ARRENDELL education in the 1970’s the greatest demand was for remedial assistance in reading and writing, particularly boys. Today many of our students are very motivated and have high aspirations. Most are satisfied with the education they receive at school, but want to be challenged and exposed to the different perspectives tutoring can provide. They are also keen to be spurred on by healthy competition with like-minded students; enjoy learning in small groups and to be friends with their tutors.
Therefore, ARRENDELL education parents are proactive parents who desire the best for their child in all areas of his or her life but in particular are focused on their child’s academic success. You want your child to learn. By giving a child the best possible education we are giving them the best possible start in life and making that success easier to attain.
Congratulations parents of ARRENDELL education